Dar Al Hajar (Rock Palace): Wadi Dhahr, Yemen

April 10, 2012

Beyond

Dar Al Hajar from below

This week’s travel Tuesday feature, Dar Al Hajar (Rock Palace), is located on one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world, which is currently midst a revolution.

Rock Palace, Yemen

1) Rock Palace, Yemen as seen from a different road

Dar Al Hajar Rock Palace, Yemen

2) "Looking up Dar al Hajar in Wadi Dhahr"

History

Dar Al Hajar was built by ruler Imam Yahya as his summer fortress-mansion in the 30′s. What’s more interesting about this site is that it was actually built upon ancient ruins. Thus, rumor has it that props for the beautiful design and architecture should be given to someone else.

Rock Palace, different angle

3) Beautiful architecture - I could stare at this building for hours!

Yes, we are open

Thankfully, the Rock Palace is now open to tourists and is a trademark brochure cover of the country of Yemen.

Rock Palace views

4) Yemeni views

When to go

It is advised that you visit Dar Al Hajar on Thursdays and Fridays, as Yemenis tend to perform outdoor dances and celebrate weddings on its surroundings then (Pbase).

Sanaa wedding bulbs

5) Sana'a wedding bulbs

Salaam min Amrica

May Allah bless those currently fighting in Yemen for their freedom and may this beautiful country see the light of happiness soon! It has so much potential as a tourist destination in the Middle East.

Rock Palace from below

6) Rock Palace,Yemen: View from below

Have you been to Dar Al Hajar or any other site in Yemen? Tell us about your experience below

Photo credits: 1) Franco Pecchio, Flickr * 2) Matthew & Sanae (MaSa), Flickr * 3) yeowatzup, Flickr * 4) Aurelio Candido, Flickr *5) Kate Nevens, Flick * 6) yeowatzup, Flickr

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

15 Responses to “Dar Al Hajar (Rock Palace): Wadi Dhahr, Yemen”

1. Emme Rogers @ Roamancing Says:

What an interesting and surprising place. Would love to explore it.

2. Julia&miguel Says:

What a mind blowing place. Reminds me of Kapadokia some how, all thought with a lot more decorative arquitecture!. Great little spot.

• Maria Laborde Says:

Natural or man-made design always fascinate me, seems like that’s your case too! ;) Yemen is shock-full of great attractions, I wish the political situation would be better, as many others would visit otherwise and somehow revitalize the economy.

3. Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista Says:

Wow, I really did enjoy your pictures of Yemen! I also enjoyed reading a bit about the history.

4. Sabrina Says:

How interesting! And how easy to protect yourself up there :) No easy entrance for burlers up there!

5. walkingon travels Says:

Wow! How do you even go about building a place like that. That was one masterful architect for sure. Thanks for sharing!

• Maria Laborde Says:

I know! It reminds me of a documentary I was watching yesterday, or rather a series, called Human Planet. They showed how a tribe built a tree house hundreds of meters high. They build the stairs as they go, then use those to go up with materials and build. Dangerous, but that’s how they did it probably as well! So skilled, we humans are :)

6. InsideJOurneys Says:

Breathtakingly beautiful. Makes me want to go there now!

• Maria Laborde Says:

I know! I could just stare at its beauty for hours. But then again, I’m an architecture junkie

7. Dick Jordan Says:

Very interesting! Thanks.

8. Jenna Says:

Wow, what a place! I love the details. I haven’t been to Yemen, but I have some students from there (all women), and they are lovely.

9. Bob R Says:

Interesting shots. I think I like the light bulbs shot the best.