Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home2/mlaborde/public_html/wp-content/themes/freshnews2/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160

Giza Pyramids disappointment: My travel photo and story

May 24, 2012

Egypt, Photos

me disappointed at the Pyramids of Giza

Still struggling with my health, so today I’m simply sharing my Giza Pyramids disappointment travel photo and story.

my Giza Pyramids disappointment

my Giza Pyramids disappointment, with hot desert air blowing on my face

The Pyramids of Giza were on my travel bucket list for many years. However, my experience once I finally visited the plateau was nothing like what I had imagined…

I like this travel photo, which I titled “Giza Pyramids disappointment,” for two main reasons:

1. It doesn’t accurately depict the Giza Pyramids, perfectly summarizing my failed expectations

In that photo, it looks like they are in the middle of the desert, when it is in fact an overcrowded site and literally only meters away from the city.

2. My face says it all

My facial expression, made due to the extremely-hot August winds, perfectly depicts my experience and sandstorm of disappointments at the Pyramids of Giza.

Read: Giza Pyramids disappointment: A sandstorm of them

Egypt is a fascinating country, however! For a better experience though, I highly recommend visiting the Dashur pyramids complex. Also, checkout the things to do in Dahab post, my favorite place on Earth!

Were the Giza Pyramids disappointment to you? Why or why not?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

11 Responses to “Giza Pyramids disappointment: My travel photo and story”

1. Bob R Says:

It’s always best to keep your expectations at home. :)

2. Raf Kiss Says:

Seeing the pyramids has been on my mind for as long as I can remember. My father used to work for a airline in Egypt 2 zillion years ago and the pictures he brought home fascinated me as a kid. We never got to go there unfortunately :(
    I’m sure that a lot changed since my dad was there, and tourism took away a lot of the charm of the place, but I still think the pyramids are incredibly fascinating from a construction point of view. It’s a fact that what those people were able to build with the limited technology they had, would be impossible today, and that is remarkable, to say the least :)
    Hope you get better soon.
    Cheers
    Raf

• Maria Laborde Says:

I agree Raf – on my other article, I explained how we can never take away from the wonders of ancient engineering. However, what has been done to the Pyramids site is very sad. But then again, that’s unfortunately the case of many popular attractions world wide, no?

3. Hannah Says:

What a relief to know that I’m not the only one who felt this way! I had the exact same experience when I visited the pyramids. Besides the fact that they are right in the middle of the city, they are much smaller then I had imagined. It was really a forgettable experience. I enjoyed the experience of getting to know the Egyptian people much more than visiting tourist sites such as these.

4. InsideJourneys Says:

Sorry the pyramids were a disappointment but I’m glad you’ve seen it for yourself.

• Maria Laborde Says:

True. I hope I didn’t sound like a spoiled brat :P I do explain on my other article that the Dashur pyramids were better and why

5. Lorraine Says:

Vary cool post! i love reading about travel experinces..

6. Yana Says:

Sorry to hear that, but I think you still got what you really want and that is to see it in person. Maybe some people over describe the real picture of Giza Pyramids. Anyway, I still want to go there to also see those pyramids in person. :)

-yana-

• Maria Laborde Says:

Agreed Yana–I’m still lucky to have been able to visit the Great Pyramids of Giza more than once. I hope you get to see them soon, it is one of those places that one must see anyway, right?